Saturday, October 15, 2005

She, she screams in silence

Sounds like Green Day put on a hell of a "secret" show at the Warfield last night. Set list here and good coverage at SFist. I can't believe they played a second encore that was that long with mostly covers. I have to admit I have a soft spot for Green Day. Like most people my age, Dookie broke when I was in middle school and although me and some friends owned both Kerplunk and 1,039, this suddenly made the music I was into go mainstream and it was truly a phenomenon. I remember my brother would borrow my Green Day tapes, yes tapes. And I would have to say this is what really started to get us into music. Growing up in Southern California we were immersed in the whole skate/ surf punk scene of bands like Bad Religion, Green Day, and NOFX. Through these bands my brother and I really went backwards and started to listen to their influences like The Clash, Minor Threat, and OP Ivy. I always just thinks its so weird how music is such a spider web and that sometimes one thing you really like at the moment can get you into greater stuff that you had no idea was out there.

So to sum up, I have to thank Green Day for making me want to know more about music, and bringing me and my brother closer together over a shared love of music and going to shows. Green Day made me realize there was more to music than Billy Joel, Elton John, Barbara Streisand, and musicals. Plus I think from 94-95 I listened to "She" over 2,000 times and it is still my fav Green Day song.