Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Raconteurs at The Warfield 7/22

Wow, I have to remember in the future that shows at The Warfield start really early. I got there at 9:15 and The Raconteurs were already half way through their first song "Intimate Secretary". I am glad Joe and I didn't get a drink on the way there or I would have missed half their set, and that would have been a shame. Obvs they played all the songs off Broken Boy Soldier, but also a few great covers including Jack singing a beautiful version of Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang (My Lover Shot Me Down)", which many of you may know from the Kill Bill soundtrack. They also cover Bowie's "It Ain't Easy" with Brendan taking up vocals and The Flaming Groovies "Headin' for the Texas Border".

Jack and Brendan had great chemistry onstage often sharing a mic. Some highlights were the bluesy-jammed out version of "Blue Veins" and the awesome slow start to "Store Bought Bones". The only bad thing was the heat inside The Warfield, it was seriously a sweat fest on the floor.

Here are some pics of the limited edition poster I got there:




Also here is a You Tube of Nancy Sintra doing Bang Bang because it is one of my favs:


And here are The Raconteurs covering it at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark, although it is not as rocking as it was when they played it at The Warfield: